Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Oh my...

Not sure about ya'll but I am so sick of this garbage about the Balloon kid & Where the Wild Things are movie. If you haven't heard the news it goes something like this... balloon kids parents came up with a huge ploy to become famous by putting their kid in the attic and telling the world he was in this balloon and might die. Using their kids to become famous and all the news coverage came from having the kids lie to authorities, TV shows, etc. The other story is around The Wild Things movie being too scary for kids... REALLY? I have heard several comments about how Max bites his mom before he runs away...is causing bad behavior in the kids going to see this movie. Yeah, I would blame the movie too and not your bad parenting skills.
We love our children and we think they're the most precious little monkeys ever created, and so naturally we want to protect them. And we should protect them from some things -- predators, disease, abuse, etc. But we shouldn't protect them from ALL things. And we certainly can't protect them from life. And part of life is getting scared now and then and even maybe being that kid who didn't get a trophy..humm, you lost honey you can try harder next time. In time, we learn to separate reality from fantasy and figure out this is life and there are hard times.
I miss the way our world used to be where the parents didn't really worry about the kids being so "comfortable" I know they didn't want them hurt but still could tell scary stories, let them out of their sight to ride their bikes until dark, play smear the queer without being politically incorrect, pop your kid in the mouth when they talked back without getting CPS called on you. I think it is time for this old world to get back to the basics you aren't going to get famous you fool. Kids are going to get scared and see things way worse than this movie... plus every kid I know grew up reading this book and we all turned out just perfect.Well besides this little twitch I have from getting my mouth popped from talking back and maybe some of that lead I had for dinner. :0)

No comments: