Friday, April 23, 2010

Help me understand....

Most of you who know me know I come from a pretty simple and realistic life style. So being in the "big" city and now having children of my own, I find myself standing and scratching my head saying REALLY?? I know at the end of the day we all want the best for our children and we all have different ways of getting there BUT I think we all would agree in one aspect or another some parents are over the top and not even teaching one lick of anything but spoiled ass kid. We all know what that leads too. Right?? Like kids aren't hard enough to raise and raise right... I think some parents forget that it is a reflection of themselves up until a certain age then they are all on their own. ;0)

So on with my story.. studies show that the average child never has a memory of anything until around the age of 5. There is what they call emotional memory and factual memory 2 completely different things. Emotional memory can be as young as 2 but that is for like the abused kids or something traumatic. So most of us mommies deal with factual memory that is around the age of 5. So why is it you would spend hundreds of dollars to take a child to Disney world at the age of 3 when you know they aren't going to remember it... seems like it is more for the parents benefit. I have taken my oldest to several birthday parties the last few months and I am in Awwww of the things these parents are pulling. I mean really a live petting zoo for a 3 year old... come on. I guess it is ok if you have the money and you can do all of that but I think the more important thing here to call out is.. most of us don't care how much money you have or don't have. The bottom line is what you are setting your child up for later in life. Cause as far as I am concerned you are raising one of those "shit" kids you see in the stores and around town with no manners at all and honestly thinks if you bat an eye you get whatever you want...really?? There IS such a thing as saying "NO" and it actually teaches the kids you can't have everything in life. I am just in aww how it is such a gimmie world these days and these kids know it. I was in the grocery store near Easter and heard this lady tell her little girl ,that was running around all over the check out area, after she ask for candy "no honey the Easter bunny is coming lets see what he brings you". Then of course my kid ask me the same question "mommy can I have some candy?" my answer right in front of that kid and her mommy was "no Cooper you are not getting candy it will make your teeth fall out" really you have to blame NO on the Easter bunny?? Come on lady tell your kid NO for gods sake don't give some half ass excuse to avoid a tantrum. Here is another example of parents just basically having a party for themselves.. we went to a one year old party a few weeks back. They had a bouquet of flowers on each table covered with linens. Hired a lady to come and sit with the kids in a circle and play music and sing to them. While they also had a wine bar set up for the BIG kids. I think it was nice and all but they spent a lot of money to impress those invited cause as stated before the kid was one and isn't going to remember a damn thing. I know it is to each their own and I hate explaining to my kid why so and so got a new bicycle cause they slept in their own bed and my kid gets a spanking if he gets out of his bed and no bribe of anything. That is the tough conversation and a lot of snot bubbles. I am sure it will get much harder as both my kids get older. Sure we could rush out and have all these things for our kids too but I just feel it sends the wrong message to the kids and you are just setting them up for a lot of failure later on in life. Maybe I am crazy or just a hard core mommy. Mean while I have said it before and I will say it again " no shit kids ... no shit kids" at least not mine as much as I can help it. Not sure where in life we took a turn and think it is acceptable for kids to talk back to the parents, or for the parents not to teach manners, and basic life skills. Either way kids are hard enough to raise this day in time and the parents are not helping by "giving" the so called silver spoon every day of their little life.

You can all thank me later that I helped our community out...and please do join me..... :0)

No comments: